Help-Turned into exciting news!

Cornsnake chat, help and advice
Reptile Lover 23

Help-Turned into exciting news!

by Reptile Lover 23 » 09 May 2017, 10:34

My girl Rexy is 8 years old

This all started after i introduced the male corn Jarvis

I put them togeather for 24hrs then seperated them for 24hrs then put them back togeather for 24hrs then seperated them and the next day (Rexy) went into blue and had a full shed i noticed a very small amount of poop on her sheaded skin where the vent is. 2days After the full shed i offered her a large mouse Soo

The last 4 weeks she has been acting very out of character. Normally she chills in her hides during the day & is active at night. for the past 4 weeks she has been out of her hides 24/7 and keeps pushing her nose against the glass and moveing all the substrate into a pile She rests only a little on the top shelf (Click here to see her enclosure with the shelf) before she is back at being very active.

Her appetite Has gone I have tried different size mice and day-old-chicks Braining, scenting the mouse with lizard, she wont eat any of them. every 10 days i offer her food and for the past 4 weeks and a half still hasnt eaten she is 620grams and just under 5,1/2ft long

I know they can go along time without food but im just starting to get concerned, any help im thankful for

Today (9th/may/) she now sat in her water bowl (Heads out the water obvs)

Her temps are 27C cool end and 31C In her hot end

Now this morning (9th/may 10:33am)

She has laid 4 eggs up to now when the 4th one came out it rolled off the top of her so i dont think it will make it, will update use later...
Rexy (cornsnake) - 8yr old female, Classic carolina CB 2009
Jarvis (cornsnake) - 2yr old male, Anery CB 2015
Gregg (bearded dragon) - 4-5 yr old male, leather back CB 2009
Crestie (crested gecko) - 10month old female, harlequin CB 2016
Puddles (crested gecko) - 5month old female, harlequin CB 2016

Reptile Lover 23

Re: Help-Turned into exciting news!

by Reptile Lover 23 » 11 May 2017, 02:32

Right so my female corn finished laying her eggs on tuesday night, i have a few questions...

1. do i have to bath her? i put the eggs in the incubator on tuesday when she had finished and she is still laying in the same place hasnt moved much. (she still hasnt eaten)(hasnt been to drink any water)

2. if i do try to pick her up to bath her is she likely to try and bite me?(its the shock that makes me scared)

Any help appriciated

Joe Was

by Joe Was » 11 May 2017, 02:39

Give her a few days to put her insides back into place. And, contrary to general wisdom it takes a few days to get over the nesting behavior. Just make sure she has access to water.

Did she shead before she layed her eggs?
If not give her a water bowl big enough to lay in.

If she pines away more than a week not eating or drinking. Then giver her another nesting box with moist mediums. That tends to help them get back on their feet so to speak.
Remember, a setup for your animal(s) will in most cases cost you more than your animal. Most, animals eat more than many sources say.

Reptile Lover 23

by Reptile Lover 23 » 11 May 2017, 10:32

She shead about 2-3 weeks before she layed her eggs went in to blue it was a full shed
and on the monday night she was lieing in her water bowl, (which was'nt normal for her)
So the next morning i checked on her and she was laying down the side of her water bowl laying her eggs.

Joe Was

by Joe Was » 11 May 2017, 17:14

Reptile Lover 23 wrote:She shead about 2-3 weeks before she layed her eggs went in to blue it was a full shed
and on the monday night she was lieing in her water bowl, (which was'nt normal for her)
So the next morning i checked on her and she was laying down the side of her water bowl laying her eggs.

This all sounds good and normal. In the future though give them nesting boxes, big enough for two snakes, one hole two times her diameter with moist medium. Without, the nesting box, they tend to lay eggs in the water dish, which drowns the eggs and then they seldom hatch.
Remember, a setup for your animal(s) will in most cases cost you more than your animal. Most, animals eat more than many sources say.

Reptile Lover 23

by Reptile Lover 23 » 13 May 2017, 13:59

This all sounds good and normal. In the future though give them nesting boxes, big enough for two snakes, one hole two times her diameter with moist medium. Without, the nesting box, they tend to lay eggs in the water dish, which drowns the eggs and then they seldom hatch.

i also had a nesting box in there too, guess she didnt want to use it "i wasnt expecting her to lay eggs" its the first time i have ever bread so i didnt know what a gravid snake acted or looked like, "But now i know for next time" :)

Joe Was

by Joe Was » 13 May 2017, 16:02

In the cornsnake world today we seldom find snakes that are not het for other traits. So, with a Normal and an Anery match-up you are guaranteed Normals het for Anery babies. But, the the parents probably are also, het for some traits. So, good luck you may also, get some surprises hatching too.

The catch here is, if your normal is line bred for Oleetee or is a normal looking snake from some trait breeding match-up?
If its line bred then you will get all Normals het for Anery. And, if they are also, both hets themselves, as well, then you, could possably get some surprises.

Reptile Lover 23

by Reptile Lover 23 » 13 May 2017, 18:49

yeah only time will tell,

Return to “Corn Snakes”