Regarding Tessera Stripe

FAQs, 'How to' guides, news, help and suggestions for using the site.
Isoldael

Regarding Tessera Stripe

by Isoldael » 16 Jul 2015, 09:20

It seems that tessera stripe may not look the way we thought it did. More information can be found in this post on the cornsnakes.com forum, but I'll quote it here for convenience:

If anyone was still doubting our identification of striped tesseras as the vanishing-striped, reduced head-patterned, little-or-no lateral stripe pheno, my suspected tessera male came through: his girlfriend's modest clutch produced 2/8 definite tesseras.

The breeding was (presumed) Tessera Stripe het Blood, Pied 66% Hypo x Hypo Pied Blood. I deliberately chose a female without motley or stripe to avoid confusion and produce plain ol' tesseras.

Though I showed him earlier in the thread, for clarity, here is the male's hatchling shot again. Then a shot of his (very cloudy) progeny: a Pied(?) Bloodred Tessera on top, and a Hypo Tessera below.

I was intrigued by this post, so I asked him for a picture of the male now that he's an adult, and asked if the female had been bred to other tesseras in the past. This was the reply:

Here ya go. He's completely patternless at this point. His belly is uncheckered (like a regular stripe's), though 9/10ths of his ventral scales have a dark orange wash.

And about whether the female had been bred before:

Good question, but no. This was her first year breeding, and I've had her since she was a hatchling (so no previous owners could have bred her before she came to me). Also, the father is the only male tessera I own that's larger than 40g, so there's no chance another male somehow ended up with her by accident.

So... all in all it seems like tessera stripes look different than what we thought. In the rest of the thread you can read more about the phenomenon (you need to be logged in to see the pictures). People speculate that what we *thought* were tessera stripes (with the strong line all the way to the tail, black outlines around the stripe and no side pattern), are in fact tessera motley/stripes. I guess we'll have to wait for more instances where this is proven out, and maybe the motley/striped tesseras will have to be proven as motley, but that might mean there will have to be some changes in the morph guide.

I hope to contribute to this myself as I hatched two extremely similar female hatchlings last year. They were sold, but I have another clutch in the incubator from the same couple. I'm hoping to hatch a male to test this with myself.

CB12 1.0 anery stripe(Nash)
CB13 1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
CB13 1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)

CB07 0.1 normal het amel (Saphira)
CB12 0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
CB12 0.1 amel (Aurora)
CB14 0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)

Previously owned:
CB06 1.0 normal het amel (Jake)

eeji
Administrator

Regarding Tessera Stripe

by eeji » 16 Jul 2015, 19:13

well this is going to be an interesting one to watch :)

Isoldael

Regarding Tessera Stripe

by Isoldael » 17 Jul 2015, 08:33

Indeed! I wonder if anyone else has tested it already. I also wonder if anyone has taken any of their supposed tessera stripes with the other phenotype (thick outlines, obvious stripes, break in the neck) and proved them to be homo striped, or rather motley/striped. It would be even more interesting if there were two distinctly different phenotypes for the same morph, which would suggest another gene at play :)
CB13 1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)

CB12 0.1 amel (Aurora)
CB14 0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)

Previously owned:

Crazyreptiles.eu

Regarding Tessera Stripe

by Crazyreptiles.eu » 28 Aug 2015, 10:09

I really cannot help but to think that ONE persons report on this has set a lot of people presuming their Normal stripes are Tessera stripes. Without more people testing, we cannot be sure. It has caused a lot of confusion and worst of all presumption!

Isoldael

Regarding Tessera Stripe

by Isoldael » 03 Sep 2015, 11:37

Crazyreptiles.eu wrote:I really cannot help but to think that ONE persons report on this has set a lot of people presuming their Normal stripes are Tessera stripes. Without more people testing, we cannot be sure. It has caused a lot of confusion and worst of all presumption!

True, we can't be sure yet. I'm pretty sure by now that this guy is right though. I bred my anery stripe to my tessera het amel anery stripe two years in a row for a total of 21 eggs. From those, I got:

5 clear (anery) tesseras
10 (anery) stripey looking things
6 (anery) normal patterened snakes

If none of the stripey looking snakes are tessera, that would mean that from 21 eggs I got not a single tessera stripe. Seeing that there's a 25% chance for each snake to be at least tessera stripe (50% chance to be tessera, 50% chance to be stripe), that would mean that there is a 99,76 % chance to get at least one tessera stripe, or a 0,24% chance of not getting one.

This means that it's more than likely that some of my stripey snakes are indeed tessera stripes. Now I just need to figure out which is which... somehow. My boyfriend will likely keep one male so we can hopefully test it next year.

CB12 0.1 amel (Aurora)

Previously owned:

Crazyreptiles.eu

Regarding Tessera Stripe

by Crazyreptiles.eu » 04 Sep 2015, 15:34

I will be very interested to see the results.
This year we had 2 matings with females who were het. stripe to a Tessera het. Stripe male with no obvious Tessera stripe.

Miranda Timmons

Re: Regarding Tessera Stripe

by Miranda Timmons » 26 Jan 2017, 22:39

This changes everything. I think what we've all been doing is selling our tessera stripes as "vanishing pattern" stripes (except Jim (back after 30)). I am proving that the snakes I thought might be tessera stripes ALL turn out tessera motley or motley/stripe. I sold what I now believe to be my tessera stripe from last year for $40 and gave my snow tessera stripe (who escaped) to my friend. So I can't breed either. Best believe I'm keeping those vanishing pattern stripes I get from my tessera pairings next time =)

Isoldael

Re: Regarding Tessera Stripe

by Isoldael » 04 Feb 2017, 20:23

I'm hoping some of the people I sold snakes to will be able to prove it this year or next year. It definitely seems that's the phenotype though!

CB12 0.1 amel (Aurora)

Previously owned:

Return to “News, Help, Suggestions and FAQs”