Questions Regarding Selective Breeding

Genetics and morph chat, help and advice. If you want help identifying a morph please use the Identification forum below.
pitzMike

Questions Regarding Selective Breeding

by pitzMike » 17 Feb 2017, 02:11

Hi All!

I have an Anery with an unusual pattern similar to zigzag/Aztecs. Now I looked up in the morph list and says that this pattern is a result of selective breeding. My question is, does selectively bred morphs will later on become recessive and will manifest in their offsprings? And how does one perform continous selective breeding like let say pied-sided from a normal diffused?

Still got many more things to learn! :| :| :|

Joe Was

Re: Questions Regarding Selective Breeding

by Joe Was » 17 Feb 2017, 23:17

Selective breeding, works with slight variances in traditional genetic traits. It is done over time capitalizing on a large population of individuals having similar variances in a breeding line. By back crossing and re-breeding we can fix the established variance in to a line.

By only breeding say Amel individuals using only the ones with reduced red. Over and over again each time selecting only the offspring with the least red to breed. And, discarding the ones with more red from the breeding line we can aproach an Amel individual that has little or no stand-alone red in it. So, the idividuals from that line are predominantly Orange and Yellow only. This is how we got the Creamsicle Amels.

Genetic trait breeding follows a different sort of breeding pattern. We find a visual trait individual breed it to get offspring that may carry the trait but do not look like they do. We then breed them back to the visual trait parent to get some individuals that do have the visual trait and the others may cary the trait non-visually.

Depending on the mechanics of the genetic trait different breeding options may come into play.

Some, breeding lines have both selective breeding and genetic breeding going on so, different lines may have distinguishing characteristic, as well. That make the same genetic trait from different breeding lines different from one another in minor ways. Bolder, darker, lighter, cleaner. Which may point to additional genetic traits to be isolated or just point to part of a range of variance within that genetic trait.

If it is just the range variance of that trait. Then this opens that trait to selective line breeding. If it is an additional genetic trait/factor and it can be isolated then we have a new trait.

Some traits have more variance than others and this can make the distinction less obvious. Like, the Hypo trait which has a wide range of variance from little to a lot of influance on black being strong or week. Or the Anery trait, which has less range variance so, we don't see a range of red presenting.
Remember, a setup for your animal(s) will in most cases cost you more than your animal. Most, animals eat more than many sources say.

pitzMike

by pitzMike » 21 Feb 2017, 05:02

Hi Joe! Thank you for your comprehensive answer.

So if in my case of having an unusual pattern anery, if I breed this to a (let say) normal, then the offspring may or may not produce a hatchling with the same unusual pattern? And in order to intensify the pattern, I need to select from the offsprings which is beyond normal pattern and then breed it back to their mom? Wouldn't it become a het later on (from selective breeding it will produce a distinct pattern trait)?

Hope you can help me understand more. :)

Joe Was

by Joe Was » 21 Feb 2017, 05:13

Probability not, you will need another of the opposit sex the thas nearly or the same pattern to establisj a line. That is why it takes a large mumber of similar individuals and takes several generations both expensive and time consuming.
Remember, a setup for your animal(s) will in most cases cost you more than your animal. Most, animals eat more than many sources say.

Return to “Genetics & Morphs”