Difference between Tessera (het), and Tessera

Genetics and morph chat, help and advice. If you want help identifying a morph please use the Identification forum below.
feathers_n_scales

Difference between Tessera (het), and Tessera

by feathers_n_scales » 13 Apr 2017, 21:07

Hi everyone!

I was looking at some possible combinations and found that two Blizzard Tessera's have a possibility to make Blizzard Tessera's that either have the Tessera (het) gene or a straight Tessera gene. But they are both Blizzard Tessera's.
What would be the visual difference (if any) or genetic difference between these two baby corn snakes?

Thanks for any help in clearing this up!

-feathers_n_scales
-Up and coming hobby breeder-

-Rehabilitating and rehoming unwanted reptiles with the love of my life-

-Feel free to contact me! Meeting new people and learning is why I joined this site!-

Shiari

Re: Difference between Tessera (het), and Tessera

by Shiari » 13 Apr 2017, 21:16

They'll produce either heterozygous or homozygous tesseras and to date I don't think anyone can tell them apart without breeding trials.

Joe Was

by Joe Was » 14 Apr 2017, 01:22

feathers_n_scales wrote:Hi everyone!

I was looking at some possible combinations and found that two Blizzard Tessera's have a possibility to make Blizzard Tessera's that either have the Tessera (het) gene or a straight Tessera gene. But they are both Blizzard Tessera's.
What would be the visual difference (if any) or genetic difference between these two baby corn snakes?

Thanks for any help in clearing this up!

-feathers_n_scales

This can be difficult but, visually their are rule of thumb - tells, a full homo Tessera tends to display, as a full or nearly full top dorsal stripe containing uniformly spaced rectangles within that stripe. The side patterns tend to be large and defined in a uniform way.

The het Tessera displays with a less uniform dorsal stripe and a broken side pattern that is almost, like granite.

Both, are quite good looking but, as in all morphs their is a lot of variance. As, said above, the only true test is a breeding conformation. But, generally you can hedge your bet with the general rule of thumb that experiance has proven to be right more than it is wrong. Very few things, in life are simple or truly cut and dry absolutes, without definite testing.
Remember, a setup for your animal(s) will in most cases cost you more than your animal. Most, animals eat more than many sources say.

feathers_n_scales

by feathers_n_scales » 14 Apr 2017, 16:42

Thank you for all of the responses! This definitely helped! (:
-Up and coming hobby breeder-

-Rehabilitating and rehoming unwanted reptiles with the love of my life-

-Feel free to contact me! Meeting new people and learning is why I joined this site!-

SnakesandStripes

by SnakesandStripes » 19 Apr 2017, 19:47

As far as I know nothing has been proven yet with het or homo Tessera. Some people have figured out theirs was a homo Tessera by breeding and getting 100% Tessera babies. They have been looking for differences between them, but nothing has been proven yet.
0.1 P.G.G. 2013: Luna, Eve, Rose. 2014: Jackie, Aphrodite 2016: Jasmine
1.0 P.G.G. 2014: Geb, Merlin

Return to “Genetics & Morphs”