Motley and Striped

Genetics and morph chat, help and advice. If you want help identifying a morph please use the Identification forum below.
SpecialCorns Johan

Motley and Striped

by SpecialCorns Johan » 19 Mar 2009, 20:32

For explanation from the terms and words look here forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2079 ;)

A chromosome pair have 2 "line's
On each line are regular places for gene's
That place called a locus
The genes in the corresponding place's in the two "line's" from the chromosome represent the alleles
2 gene's on the same locus is a gene pair (Homozygote)
heterozygous means the two alleles in a gene pair are not the same. They are different.

The gene for Motley is on the same locus as the gene for Stripe
If you breed Amel het Motley X Amel het Stripe and you get a patern, what happend???

One Gene motley (on the first "line")
One gene Stripe ( on the second "line")
Make together a complete allele ( because they are on the same locus)

The Amel call NOT Motley Striped but het Motley and het Stripe!!!

Motley is most time's dominant, so it's normal when the Amel lok like a Motley.

Motley X Motley = 100% Motley
Stripe X Stripe = 100% Stripe
Motley X Stripe = 100% HET Motley AND HET Stripe
het Motley and het Striped X het Motley and het Striped = It will give yo Motley, Stripe and also het motley AND het Striped
but you never know for sure what you have :roll:
If you look to tha last breeding and you put that intoo the gene calculator, it show this
75 % motley 66% poss het stripe
and 25% striped
This is a huge fault intoo the calculator
because it's not possible to have motley het striped or striped het Motley

Questions are more tha welcome, so we can learn form eachother

to be continued
You don't have to confuse the truth with the opinion of the majority

Hacky83

Re: Motley and Striped

by Hacky83 » 19 Mar 2009, 21:21

a cool thing you make here |D :IV:

SpecialCorns Johan

by SpecialCorns Johan » 19 Mar 2009, 21:28

And If you breed Het Motley Het striped X Normal = 100% Het Motley OR Stripe 8)

eeji
Administrator

by eeji » 13 Apr 2009, 13:12

heres the punnett squares for all the combinations that combine normal, motley and stripe allelles at the motley locus.

KEY:
+ = normal
m = motley
s = stripe

RESULTS:
++ = normal
+m = normal het motley
+s = normal het stripe
mm = motley
ss = stripe
ms = het motley het stripe (this would be visually a motley, often mis-labelled as motley het stripe or motley striped)

-----------------------------

1. normal x het motley (++ x +m) =

++
+++++
m+m+m

2. normal x het stripe (++ x +s) =

++
+++++
s+s+s

3. normal x motley (++ x mm) =

++
m+m+m
m+m+m

4. normal x stripe (++ x ss) =

++
s+s+s
s+s+s

5. normal x het motley, het stripe (++ x ms) =

++
m+m+m
s+s+s

6. het motley x het motley (+m x +m) =

+m
++++m
m+mmm

7. het stripe x het stripe (+s x +s) =

+s
++++s
s+sss

8. het motley x het stripe (+m x +s) =

+m
++++m
s+sms

9. motley x het motley (mm x +m) =

mm
++m+m
mmmmm

10. motley x het stripe (mm x +s) =

mm
++m+m
smsms

11. motley x het motley, het stripe (mm x ms) =

mm
mmmmm
smsms

12. stripe x het motley (++ x +m) =

ss
++s+s
mmsms

13. stripe x het stripe (ss x +s) =

ss
++s+s
sssss

14. stripe x het motley, het stripe (ss x ms) =

ss
mmsms
sssss

15. het motley, het stripe x het motley (ms x +m) =

ms
++m+s
mmmms

16. het motley, het stripe x het stripe (ms x +s) =

ms
++m+s
smsss

17. het motley, het stripe x het motley, het stripe (ms x ms) =

ms
mmmms
smsss

scotsman

by scotsman » 13 Apr 2009, 13:26

Great stuff guys, we need more of this stuff, I think everybody can learn from these type of threads :D

SpecialCorns Johan

by SpecialCorns Johan » 13 Apr 2009, 13:31

Good post Ian
:fw:
:ty: :IV:

SpecialCorns Johan

by SpecialCorns Johan » 26 Apr 2009, 15:47

Motley And Striped

Again

A chromosome pair have 2 "line's
On each line are regular places for gene's
That place called a locus
(Locus

Locus (plural: loci): Latin for ' place'.
Locus are used to indicate where a gene place is on a chromosome. Alternatives on the DNA sequence of locus are called allele.)

The genes in the corresponding place's in the two "line's" from the chromosome represent the alleles
2 gene's on the same locus is a gene pair (Homozygote)
heterozygous means the two alleles in a gene pair are not the same. They are different.

The gene for Motley is on the same locus as the gene for Stripe
If you breed Amel het Motley X Amel het Stripe and you get a patern, what happend???

The Amel call NOT Motley Striped but het Motley and het Stripe!!!
Because Motley X Striped = Intermediate or Intermediar

If diploïd organism are heterozygous (two different allele for 1 gene) for a characteristic, then they can end up showing both genes, resulting in a mixed form of a gene (for example pink flowers, when there is one allele for red flowers and one allele for white flowers). And therefore they are NOT Co-dominant !!! This is called intermediate or additively. But it can also be that one of the two allele does not become visible. The characteristic that is visible is then called dominant and the characteristic that is not visible is called recessive.

Motley is most time's dominant, so it's normal when the Amel look like a Motley.

Motley X Motley = 100% Motley
Stripe X Stripe = 100% Stripe
Motley X Stripe = 100% HET Motley AND HET Stripe
het Motley and het Striped X het Motley and het Striped = It will give yo Motley, Stripe and also het motley AND het Striped
but you never know for sure what you have
If you look to that last breeding and you put that intoo the gene calculator, it show this
75 % motley 66% poss het stripe
and 25% striped
This is a huge fault intoo the calculator
because it's not possible to have motley het striped or striped het Motley
It’s never possible to have Motley het Striped, ot Striped het Motley because they are intermediary and will give a mix from Motley and Striped.

(QUOTE from Arjan It's an intermediar genotype that has a dominant motley phenotype with no specific name for it)
If there was a name for it, then the most people can understand it much better.

Questions are more than welcome, so we can learn form eachother

Phenotype

Phenotype means literally " appearance" and is based on the Greek Phainein = looks, showing.
The phenotype is the total of all perceptible properties (characteristics) of an organism. It is the result of the genetic construction (the genotype) of an individual and the influence of its surroundings. An example of this is the skin colour of people. These are partly stipulated by the genotype, but also influenced by the sun (the environment). In this case therefore also the surroundings have influence on the phenotype. The phenotype can be explained in one simple formula:
phenotype = genotype + influence from outside

Genotype

The genotype is the complete hereditary information of an organism. This information can be found in the genes in the DNA. The genotype is the collection of genes of the individual which have been inherited from both parents. The hereditary information is mainly stored in the chromosomes. This information is passed on by both parents to the descendants.

paulh

by paulh » 28 Apr 2009, 00:50

SpecialCorns Johan wrote:

Alleles are different versions of the same gene. At the motley gene locus, motley is an allele, stripe is an allele, and normal is an allele. If there is one motley gene and one stripe gene, then the locus has two alleles.

SpecialCorns Johan wrote:The Amel call NOT Motley Striped but het Motley and het Stripe!!!
Because Motley X Striped = Intermediate or Intermediar

If diploïd organism are heterozygous (two different allele for 1 gene) for a characteristic, then they can end up showing both genes, resulting in a mixed form of a gene (for example pink flowers, when there is one allele for red flowers and one allele for white flowers). And therefore they are NOT Co-dominant !!! This is called intermediate or additively. But it can also be that one of the two allele does not become visible. The characteristic that is visible is then called dominant and the characteristic that is not visible is called recessive.

Motley is most time's dominant, so it's normal when the Amel look like a Motley.

At the level we are working, there are only three possible types of genes -- dominant, recessive, and codominant.

The gene A is dominant to a and the gene a is recessive to A if the mating Aa X Aa --> two phenotypes, 3/4 A_ and 1/4 aa. The genotypes AA and Aa have the same A_ phenotype.

The gene A is codominant to a and the gene a is codominant to A if the mating Aa X Aa --> three phenotypes, 1/4 AA, 2/4 Aa, and 1/4 aa. The genotypes AA, Aa, and aa produce different phenotypes. The Aa phenotype may or may not be intermediate between the AA and aa phenotypes.

So intermediate is another synonym for codominant at the level we are working. There may be meaningful subcategories at the molecular genetics level, but we are not operating at that level.

Snakes with a motley gene paired with a stripe gene have variable phenotypes. Some look like snakes with two motley genes, some seem to show a slight influence towards the stripe phenotype, and others seem to show a considerable influence from the striped gene. But none look just like a snake with two stripe genes. So I'd call motley dominant to stripe but with variable expressivity.

I greatly dislike "het motley het stripe" for a snake with a motley gene paired with a stripe gene. It sounds like two gene pairs, one with a motley gene paired with a normal gene and the second with a stripe gene paired with a normal gene. I prefer "motley/stripe" for a genotype, or even "het motley/stripe". By the way, het motley can be expressed as "normal/motley".

Brittanicus

by Brittanicus » 22 Oct 2009, 15:41

So please could you clear this up for me,
If I breed a Snow Stripe with a Snow Motley I will get hatchlings that look 100% Snow Motley.

eeji
Administrator

by eeji » 22 Oct 2009, 19:09

Brittanicus wrote:So please could you clear this up for me,
If I breed a Snow Stripe with a Snow Motley I will get hatchlings that look 100% Snow Motley.

correct, the phenotype would be snow motley, but the genotype will be snow het motley het stripe

SpecialCorns Johan

by SpecialCorns Johan » 22 Oct 2009, 19:12

Brittanicus wrote:So please could you clear this up for me,

Hi Briianicus,

ok here we go ;)

That's because of the Motley gene (most time's) is Dominant over the Striped gene.
So all your hatchlings are carry 1 gene Motley and 1 Gene Striped. And you see only the Motley patern, BUT both gene's are insite ;)

If this explanation is not clear enough, no problem than I do it again with all the details you want, just ask.

cheer Johan :cheers:

Brittanicus

by Brittanicus » 23 Oct 2009, 06:27

Thanks Eeji and Johan. I just see so many corns listed as Motley het for stripe.
Can the striped gene alter the shape of the motley pattern in any way?

ballkeeper

by ballkeeper » 14 Feb 2010, 08:43

but some will look simular to stripe corns re they have lines gaps line ,but are moltey

isnt it something to do with the thickness of the stripe which is motly and which is stripe

marinneli

by marinneli » 05 Jun 2010, 15:40

paulh wrote:I greatly dislike "het motley het stripe" for a snake with a motley gene paired with a stripe gene. It sounds like two gene pairs, one with a motley gene paired with a normal gene and the second with a stripe gene paired with a normal gene. I prefer "motley/stripe" for a genotype, or even "het motley/stripe". By the way, het motley can be expressed as "normal/motley".

Agreed.
If you call a snake for example Anery het. Motley het. Stripe MANY people will get confused and if not seeing the snake per se, they'd believe it's normal patterned and het. for two independent traits - just like Anery het. Hypo Amel. That's why I prefer calling them Motley-Stripes.
~@~ ~@~ ~@~ ~@~ ~@~ ~@~ ~@~ ~@~ ~@~ ~@~ ~@~

FinSerpent ~ My Cornsnakes

SpecialCorns Johan

by SpecialCorns Johan » 05 Jun 2010, 17:49

I understand what you mean, but the problem is that if a corn is het Motley and het Striped, that they never give it a name :(
That's why I always will use het motley AND het Striped, the only way to get it clear.
If people don't know what it is they can ask,

sorry just my opinion ;)

Johan

Return to “Genetics & Morphs”