My cornsnake and enclosure

Post pictures of your snakes here
Reptile Lover 23

My cornsnake and enclosure

by Reptile Lover 23 » 19 Dec 2016, 22:59

Hey guy's and Girl,s

first up is my half home made cornsnake enclosure i bought a rabbit hutch and "modified" it to suite my needs, I will admit its not the best looking vivarium in the world and there's still work that needs doing.... having said that the top of the vivarium dose lift up when theres nawt on it, the left and right doors open and the shelves come out for easy cleaning i had to change the panels on the doors to clear PVC as the doors where just wire mesh i have put air vents in at the rear and all the necessary stuff etc...

The vivarium is (5ft wide) (3ft 4inch)high and (2, 1/2ft) frunt to Back, meny people may say this "isnt recommended" for a corn snake due to it being "too big" please also renember my corn snake Eats,Sheads,poops perfectly and is very! active....

Now onto my corn snake, Rexy is a 7 year old Female and just shy of (5, 1/2ft) long Heres some pics altho they dont do her any justice.....

Rexy (cornsnake) - 8yr old female, Classic carolina CB 2009
Jarvis (cornsnake) - 2yr old male, Anery CB 2015
Gregg (bearded dragon) - 4-5 yr old male, leather back CB 2009
Crestie (crested gecko) - 10month old female, harlequin CB 2016
Puddles (crested gecko) - 5month old female, harlequin CB 2016

Joe Was

Re: My cornsnake and enclosure

by Joe Was » 20 Dec 2016, 17:00

Nice cage and several hide-spots. Corn snakes are not, as picky, as other snakes when it comes to a temprature gradient but, it is still a good practice to have hides at different temprature locations. During digestion is when they look for a warm spot.

With that big of a cage your cornsnake (probably along the Okeetee style corns) should be spoiled compared to the smaller cages most are kept in. A big cage is not a problem, as long, as you have hides in different temperature locations especially when you have one display animal. Though, baby snakes do best in very small cages. Adults are a different story. Most breeders go, as small, as they can get away with though.

Even wild caught corns adapt quite well to cages of varying sizes, unlike the highly active Racers, Coachwhip and others who bang around, in to- small, of a cage or large snakes just because of their size. Thick body snakes, like Blood Pythons, need bigger cages to avoid bending their spines in the same place all the time. So, nothing wrong with a cornsnake in a big cage done right, as long as you have a temprature gradient and light and dark times.

The only issue with a big cage, is it limits how many animals you can have. By all the real estate it takes from you, to have a big cage.
Remember, a setup for your animal(s) will in most cases cost you more than your animal. Most, animals eat more than many sources say.

Reptile Lover 23

by Reptile Lover 23 » 20 Dec 2016, 18:45

Thank you for your helpful input and information Joe. :)

eeji
Administrator

by eeji » 20 Dec 2016, 19:54

thats a brilliant idea!

Joe Was

by Joe Was » 21 Dec 2016, 14:10

eeji wrote:thats a brilliant idea!

So true eeji. Like furniture.
Remember, a setup for your animal(s) will in most cases cost you more than your animal. Most, animals eat more than many sources say.

Reptile Lover 23

by Reptile Lover 23 » 20 Apr 2017, 13:55

Well i have made some change's to the enclosure,

I have painted the exterior Black to match my bearded dragons vivarium and i have added an extra PVC window on the left door.
I have also added a divider in the middle which you will notice through the center window (it's removable too)

Here are some more pics

The divider slides out from the top to let my female and male cornsnakes breed etc...

Return to “Snake Gallery”