Suitable wood

Habitat and vivarium equipment chat, help and advice
kingtreelo

Suitable wood

by kingtreelo » 05 Mar 2015, 14:39

I am currently using a few bits of wood i've had in the house that used to be in my fish tanks a few years ago but am looking to get more

i've had a look in some pet stores and the prices they charge are insane

can i source any sort of wood from anywhere or does it need to be a particular type?

Isoldael

Re: Suitable wood

by Isoldael » 06 Mar 2015, 14:37

You need to make sure it's not pine, as the toxins in the oils are toxic to snakes. Otherwise most kinds should be fine. Just make sure you rinse properly :)
CB12 1.0 anery stripe(Nash)
CB13 1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
CB13 1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)

CB07 0.1 normal het amel (Saphira)
CB12 0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
CB12 0.1 amel (Aurora)
CB14 0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)

Previously owned:
CB06 1.0 normal het amel (Jake)

Joe Was

Re: Suitable wood

by Joe Was » 19 Nov 2016, 16:27

Most commercial wood is sandblasted grape wood trimmings. Generally, proven safe but, yes expensive. It does not have any bark, the prime source of problems like, mites and such. The wood may have been treated with a alkali (solution of sodium/potassium hydroxide), as a dunk then sprayed with hydrogen peroxide, as a basic wood bleach. It is then hosed-off with water and air cured. This not-only makes the wood look clean it kills most things that could be on it.

We have citrus trees here and old branches natrally loose their bark, as they age on the trees. The aging, also removes the citrus oil, which could be a problum for some animals. Unfortunately, the prep is not over and takes time. We use a mild chlorine solution soak, roughly 30 ml of house-hold laundry chlorine bleach to a gallon/4 l of water for three days to a week. Hose off with water and let it air dry for a week or so, sun helps. It is done when it has lost its chlorine smell and with some wood this could be a long time. I have heard of people using alcohol much the same way, as bleach but, in a spray bottle, as it kills many things too.

Natural, wood with bark is one of the most contaminated things you could use in a closed system like, in a cage. Aged drift wood is better but, it still must be treated. Chlorine treated wood cannot be used with fish ever again.

We do not use bark substrate for the same reason, though heat composted bark is considered clean and safe, just not the fresh striped noggets of any size. The only time we got mites was from a bag of aspen bedding. We use recycled paper pulp.

We have also used PVC/CPVC pipe, the tree boas like it - it is easy to clean and you can get it in any diameter or put together many shapes.

If you have one to six enclosures, you can have more labor intensive items to clean. When you have twenty+ it becomes clear real-soon that easy to clean, is a must.
Remember, a setup for your animal(s) will in most cases cost you more than your animal. Most, animals eat more than many sources say.

Return to “Enclosures & Equipment”