My homemade incubator

Habitat and vivarium equipment chat, help and advice
Reptile Lover 23

My homemade incubator

by Reptile Lover 23 » 22 Apr 2017, 21:00

I have been making an incubator for the past two days here are some pics with written explanations on to help people understand what things are for ;)

Any questions please ask! and tell me what you guys think ;)

Rexy (cornsnake) - 8yr old female, Classic carolina CB 2009
Jarvis (cornsnake) - 2yr old male, Anery CB 2015
Gregg (bearded dragon) - 4-5 yr old male, leather back CB 2009
Crestie (crested gecko) - 10month old female, harlequin CB 2016
Puddles (crested gecko) - 5month old female, harlequin CB 2016

Joe Was

Re: My homemade incubator

by Joe Was » 23 Apr 2017, 14:24

We found when we intubated in a closed system we had more problems with too much humidity. Both with the eggs absorbing too much moisture and mold/mildew growing on the eggs. Both these issues that added to losses and higher numbers of failed to hatch eggs can be avoided with a small vent. We use a screened vent and a circulating fan. That addition stopped all the environmental problems. For what it is worth.

Otherwise, looks great. One of ours looks much the same except our water is in a cat-litter pan, in the bottom. We found when the water was not in a pan it fouled and was hard to clean from of the expanded foam. Also, after time the bottom sweated moisture onto the table it was on. The pan eliminated those issues.
Remember, a setup for your animal(s) will in most cases cost you more than your animal. Most, animals eat more than many sources say.

Reptile Lover 23

by Reptile Lover 23 » 23 Apr 2017, 17:40

Thanks for your helpfull advice there Joe, i have some different size Descktop pc fans that i can easily put one init along with a mesh screen, what sort of humiditiy have you found to work best? because my worry was if there was a fan fitted it would lower the temp inside and also put the humidity right down? im on the understanding that the humidity has tobe 70-90% and the temp around the eggs has to be 21-30 degees C

any advice greatly appreciated! ;)

Joe Was

by Joe Was » 24 Apr 2017, 19:59

The exhaust vent has a disk with a screw at the top so, we can slide over the vent to control both humidity and air. We like, a moist bed to put the eggs on. We use sponge and spagnum moss for the egg bed. We shoot for 80 to 85 percent humidity. 82 degrees F gives 50/50 male to female - lower gives more males and higher more females. 80 to 85 degrees F is a good range.
Remember, a setup for your animal(s) will in most cases cost you more than your animal. Most, animals eat more than many sources say.

Reptile Lover 23

by Reptile Lover 23 » 24 Apr 2017, 22:02

Thanks Joe much appreciated :)

Reptile Lover 23

by Reptile Lover 23 » 26 Apr 2017, 15:33

Is there any chance you can upload a pic of the exhaust vent?

Joe Was

by Joe Was » 26 Apr 2017, 19:07

In the old foam one we had used a sofit vent. [We use a cabinet now so, it is different and uses a doubled track and a handled slide to adjust the side vent.] Sofit vents are round plastic or aluminium disks about 3 inches or 8 cm in diameter that come pre-screened that are used to vent roof overhangs. From home/construction supply stores cheep. They are used in many cages, as well. We glued it to the corner of the top. The adjuster is a lid from a deli container. The deli lid has a small hole near its edge that a screw is passed into the top.

You, could do the same with a hole and window screen gluded over the hole. And, anything you can cover it with to adjust the venting.

To adjust the exhaust, we just open or cover more of the vent by pivoting the deli lid more or less across the opening.

For the eggs we use rectangular plastic food containers with one small hole in each corner of the lid. We used to use 1/8 in (4 mm) holes but, some little African house snakes got out of that size hole so, we go a little smaller now.

We seal the container with the moist moss or sponge on its bottom, eggs on top. Check each container's moisture about once a week, by feeling the base, not by look!
Add, water as needed with an eye dropper - on the medium only not the eggs.

Visually, look at each containers eggs each day mainly for mold or bad/leaking eggs. We do not remove bad eggs that are attached to other eggs. We swab them with peroxide. And, only cut the bad eggs and clean them out when they leak. Badly molded eggs can be swabed with mild chlorine bleach solution. Clean the container, replace the moist base with new medium. And, hope it does not spread.

About, 48 to 70 days, for cornsnake eggs to hatch,
generally six to eight weeks you should have babies. At 82 Fahrenheite degrees (27 to 28 Celsius) it will take 57 to 63 day. We have had some that have gone a few weeks more. Many, clutches will split hatch by three to eight days. Some, baby snakes split the egg and stay inside for a few days.

We have only helped a few times by spliting the egg for it when all the others hatched and a week or so, has gone by. Checking, with a good light against the egg in a dim room to see what is going on inside the egg first - look for movement and good development.

Reptile Lover 23

by Reptile Lover 23 » 26 Apr 2017, 23:14

Cheers joe, thats very helpful, answered all my questions, you should start a youtube channel

Reptile Lover 23

by Reptile Lover 23 » 10 May 2017, 01:15

Well i now have 20 eggs arrived this morning only 12 of them are silk white the others are a slight brownish color, there now in the incubator

Joe Was

by Joe Was » 10 May 2017, 02:56

Sometimes they are just off-color and they still hatch. I have also, found diet and maybe the actual parents' cross influences the egg color. Just watch for mold and or very dark developing colored, which does mean they are probably not going to hatch. Though, I have had dark and slightly mold/mildew peroxide/chlorine treated eggs hatch.

If the eggs do not expand then they will fail, if they are a bit darker but, otherwise look normal they will just probably take a bit longer to hatch. If they survive they will probably just go to the 70 days or so rather than the 50 or 55 days if they hatch. Cheers, and good luck!

Reptile Lover 23

by Reptile Lover 23 » 10 May 2017, 11:06

Cheers Joe :)

Return to “Enclosures & Equipment”