Stargazing black rat snake

Information and help about different illnesses and health risks posed to reptiles.
licerbob

Stargazing black rat snake

by licerbob » 30 Dec 2016, 09:21

I just noticed today my baby black rat is stargazing. Is it the same as stargazing in corns? What can I do?

Helunamamma

Re: Stargazing black rat snake

by Helunamamma » 07 Jan 2017, 22:22

Stargazer is not something what pops out some time.. hom stargazer symptoms are visual soon as they hatch. Its genetic and goes on corn snake okeetee and sunkissed lines. Never heard that any other species has stargazer gene..
1.0 Normal het amela, anery (2011)
0.1 Amber het anery (2011)
0.1 Hypo het caramel, amela, anery (2011)
0.1 Fire het caramel poss. het anery, hypo, stripe (2013)
1.0 Amel het hypo, diffused, motley/stripe poss. het caramel, anery (2013)

I <3 Candy

Isoldael

by Isoldael » 17 Jan 2017, 16:56

Considering how genetically similar they are to corns and the fact that they can interbreed, I wouldn't completely disregard the odds of this snake having stargazer. Do you have a video of it by any chance?
CB12 1.0 anery stripe(Nash)
CB13 1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
CB13 1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)

CB07 0.1 normal het amel (Saphira)
CB12 0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
CB12 0.1 amel (Aurora)
CB14 0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)

Previously owned:
CB06 1.0 normal het amel (Jake)

Joe Was

by Joe Was » 10 Feb 2017, 22:55

Young snakes particularly are very sensitive to chemicals floating around in our homes. Room, deoderizors, sprays, overheated non-stick cooking pans, insecticides, cleaning compounds, cedar wood... These can make the otherwise healthy snake look spastic, jerking, rolling and moving in-place not going anywhere.

I can spray the snake rooms with a mild pyrthem and only the baby suboc's Transpecose Ratsnakes go nuts. I have had people who kill reptiles because they have cedar paneling in there homes.

A Teflon fry pan left on the burner so, it smokes will kill birds and some reptiles. The formaldehyde in some room fresheners can do a number on snakes and birds. [Birds and reptiles both have nucleated blood. People/mammals have non-nucleated blood, a bit looking like a common doughnut than a sphere.] So, birds and reptiles share medicines and toxins more closely than say reptiles and mammals.
Remember, a setup for your animal(s) will in most cases cost you more than your animal. Most, animals eat more than many sources say.

Return to “Illnesses and Health Problems”