How to make a low cost pinky pump, for non-feeders.

Information and help about different illnesses and health risks posed to reptiles.
Joe Was

How to make a low cost pinky pump, for non-feeders.

by Joe Was » 07 Apr 2017, 18:49

From time to time we all have a baby snake that just will not feed on its own. The snake is wasting away and rolling a pinky into the snakes mouth just is not working. [The Twist and Roll method: using the smallest newborn pinky mouse. Hold the snake and from one side of the moth near the front. Twisting the pinky head from the snakes lower lip up towards the snakes upper lip. Using the head of the pinky like a pry bar to get the snakes mouth open. Then try to get the pinky back in the snakes mouth towards the throat.] Some, snakes do swallow a forced pinky others just back it out and fail to feed.

For the reluctant feeders the last resort is force feeding. I had a Sub-occ [Trans Pecos Ratsnake] that feed by pinky pump for about a year before eating on its own.

Never just pinky pump without first trying to feed it naturally first in several steps.

(Most professional volume breeders put the non-eaters in one plastic container, all together and dump a hand-full of pinkies in and check back for any that are eating or have eaten. Then pull the feeders out and put each in its own deli container labeled "Reluctant feeder with the feeding date." Then repeat that process untill the non-feeders either become feeders or die.)

For the breeder with the extra time it takes to save a non-feeder here are the steps.

1. Put the reluctant feeder in a deli container with a pinky. Check it in an hour, if it has not eaten put it still its deli container in a dark area, room or cabinet/drawer for another hour. Try, puncturing the front top of the pinky skull to get some brains to leak out and repeat. Or, try scenting with lizards
(I have frozen gekos, anoles and fence lizards, but have never gotten any snake to eat lizard scented - brain or fish scented yes) [the only scent that worked for me with cornsnakes was brain]. If not yet, try step two.

2. Try to get a pinky into its mouth. The twist and roll method to pry open the snakes mouth with the pinky. Tends to work well and many snakes will continue to swallow the pinky, once its back in its mouth. Others' who are still not feeding need another step.

3. Using the pinky twist and roll method or using your finger nail to pry open the snakes mouth -
rock the pinky into the snakes mouth without letting go of the snake. Using a narrow ball point pen ink cartridge's back-end, as a ram. Try to gently push the pinky all the way into the snakes throat. If this works great. But, do check back for a regurgitated pinky later. If still not feeding - step four.

4. Making and using a low cost home-made pinky pump. Get an insulin hypodermic syringe. [I use the older insulin that comes in a vial at $24 vs the automatic insulin pen that costs $400 each replacement. My syringes cost me $0.17 each.] Most, of us know a diabetic who still uses vials and syringes. If not the local pharmacy/hypothicary/drugest has low cost disposable 10 or 100 packs of narrow 1cc/100 units, if not forbidden in your country (here in the States we do not need a perscription to purchase insulin or syringes).

Pull the plunger about 90% out of the syringe cylinder. Near the needle end of the syringe cylinder, using a very thin-sharp knife, slice the cylinder end off of the syringe. Using sand paper or a nail file round the cut end, a bit - feel it on your palm or finger for sharp or rough edges.

Remove, the syringe plunger and put a pinky in your non-favored palm (you can substitute any surface but, the palm does work best) using the cut end of your syringe force it into and through the pinky. Use a twisting motion with your good hand and help with your palm. Continue, to core through the pinky untill the pinky is gone or the syringe cylinder is full nearly to the top. With practice you will not get air-gaps in the cylinder. Put the syring plunger back in so, the rubber part is fully seated.

Using, the cut end of the syringe pull down the lower lip and jaw and twist the syringe over the teeth, centered in the snake's mouth. Gently, guide the syringe past the jaws and get a small portion of the syringe cylinger into the snake's throat. Using, a even force push the syring plunger, firmly holding the cylinder. Prevent, the cylinder and snake from unseating the syringe from the snake's throat.

If the pinky bits back out from the throat then the syringe was too shallow into the snake's throat. If the snake seems good, put it in a deli container and see if it continues to pass the pinky bits into its stomach.

If these four steps fail, continue to repeat these four steps, each four or five days. Else, as the the Chinese say 4 is the unlucky number because four in Chinese sounds a bit like, the Chinese for "death."

Also, remember most snakes do not feed untill a few days after the last of the egg yolk has been absorbed, though some do sooner.
Remember, a setup for your animal(s) will in most cases cost you more than your animal. Most, animals eat more than many sources say.

eeji
Administrator

Re: How to make a low cost pinky pump, for non-feeders.

by eeji » 07 Apr 2017, 20:34

Joe Was wrote:...the last resort is force feeding...

^^^ this!

I've also had good success boiling pinkys for a minute or so before feeding (it smells a bit like roast pork if anyones wondering! :D )

Joe Was

by Joe Was » 07 Apr 2017, 21:18

I have never tried that one eeji but, will on the next one that turns up. Have tried washing very well and also, washing in mild detergent before scenting with not much sucess.

eeji wrote:
Joe Was wrote:...the last resort is force feeding...

^^^ this!

I've also had good success boiling pinkys for a minute or so before feeding (it smells a bit like roast pork if anyones wondering! :D )
Remember, a setup for your animal(s) will in most cases cost you more than your animal. Most, animals eat more than many sources say.

SnakesandStripes

by SnakesandStripes » 19 Apr 2017, 19:53

What helped for me as well was the liquid in a can of tuna. Put boiled water in, pinky in and let it sit for a while. Somehow a few of my silly corns liked it and started eating that way. It has helped for a few other people as well :D
0.1 P.G.G. 2013: Luna, Eve, Rose. 2014: Jackie, Aphrodite 2016: Jasmine
1.0 P.G.G. 2014: Geb, Merlin

Return to “Illnesses and Health Problems”